Sunday, August 9, 2015

5 Star ARC Review: Of Metal and Wishes (Sarah Fine)

Hardcover, First Edition, 321 pages
Published August 5th 2014 by Margaret K. McElderry Books



There are whispers of a ghost in the slaughterhouse where sixteen-year-old Wen assists her father in his medical clinic—a ghost who grants wishes to those who need them most. When one of the Noor, men hired as cheap factory labor, humiliates Wen, she makes an impulsive wish of her own, and the Ghost grants it. Brutally.
Guilt-ridden, Wen befriends the Noor, including their outspoken leader, a young man named Melik. At the same time, she is lured by the mystery of the Ghost and learns he has been watching her... for a very long time.
As deadly accidents fuel tensions within the factory, Wen must confront her growing feelings for Melik, who is enraged at the sadistic factory bosses and the prejudice faced by his people at the hand of Wen’s, and her need to appease the Ghost, who is determined to protect her against any threat—real or imagined. She must decide whom she can trust, because as her heart is torn, the factory is exploding around her... and she might go down with it.





I’m the author of several books for teens, including Of Metal and Wishes (McElderry/Simon & Schuster) and its sequel, Of Dreams and Rust (coming in August 2015), and the Guards of the Shadowlands YA urban fantasy series (Skyscape/Amazon Children’s Publishing). I’m also the co-author (with Walter Jury) of two YA sci-fi thrillers published by Putnam/Penguin: Scan and its sequel Burn (which will be published in 2015). My first adult urban fantasy romance novel, Marked, will be published in January 2015 by 47North/Amazon Publishing, with the sequel, Claimed, coming in March 2015. When I’m not writing, I’m psychologizing. Sometimes I do both at the same time. The results are unpredictable.



So first of all...I have loved each and every book that Sarah Fine has co-authored or written. Every story she writes is so full of heart and suspense. I find myself completely intertwined in every story......SO....when I found out Sarah had written a new novel called Of Metal And Wishes that was supposed to be a re-telling of The Phantom of The Opera...then of course I had to get my hands on it!!!!! and I was not disappointed. Of Metal and Wishes is a phenomenally written YA Romance and Suspense with a touch of Horror added in. Keep in mind that this book is not for the faint of heart....it is close to being in the adult genre in my opinion and this only makes it better!


“So I take a few steps into the dark hallway, until the light around me turns from gray yellow to brown black, stopping before I sink into inky obsidian darkness. I’ve never been afraid of the dark, though now I wonder if I should be.”


Of Metal and Wishes is the story of Wen and her life at Gochan One, which is the slaughterhouse where her father works as the clinic doctor. Wen is her father's assistant and they moved to Gochan One after her mother passed away from cancer and her father could no longer afford the middle class life. Wen and her father are honorable, kind people who treat every person at the slaughterhouse regardless of class level. Her father, Guiren, is a kind man who is just trying to survive in the horrible world while trying his best to protect his daughter, Wen. 

One day a new set of workers arrives at Gochan One called The Noor. The Noor are poor citizens who have come to Gochan One in hopes of making enough money to help their families back home and rebuild their lands.... but little do they know....the plant manager, Mugo, has different plans for the Noor. Mugo is a horrific man who steals money from the workers and when they begin to lose their usefulness he sends them off to even worse labor camps. 

One of the Noor is a young man named Melik. Wen finds herself immediately attracted to Melik and the feeling is mutual...Melik and Wen's love story is beautiful and develops over time which is so much better than "insta-love." 


“Something inside me has shifted, and now part of me is not my own.”


After spending time with some of the Noor people...Wen begins to realize that the portrayal of the Noor has been completely incorrect....All the Noor want is to live in peace and be able to feed their families. 

Amongst the people of Gochan One there lives a legend....a legend who has been named "Ghost." Ghost is worshiped and the people build him an altar where they can leave "wishes" for the Ghost and he chooses which ones he wants to answers. Sometimes the wishes are good and noble and sometimes they are bad and can be hurtful to others. Wen has never believed in the Ghost before....until something happens to Wen that makes her want to get revenge on the ones who hurt her...so she makes a wish at the alter....and the Ghost grants it......

This begins the suspense-filled horror story Of Metal and Wishes....There is so much action and intensity through-out this entire book. I found myself flipping pages late into the night just to find out what happened next. Wen is beautiful and young....and in a factory full of men...well....this could be a bad thing..if you get my drift. BUT there are lots of people that take care of Wen and defend her when you least expect it. I absolutely loved this book and all the characters. Each character is special and unique and will do things that just grab at your heartstrings. There were some I absolutely loved and some I hated so much I wanted to scream.....

If you have never read a Sarah Fine book....this is a great one to start!!!! Get ready....Sarah Fine takes you on a intense, surprise-filled thrill ride with Of Metals and Wishes.....





**The quotes from this book have been taken from an Advanced Reading Copy and are subject to change when the final book is printed. Please refer to the final, finished copy for exact quotes!**


**I want to say Thank You to  Margaret K. McElderry Books/Simon Teen for the opportunity to review this book!!**



Giveaway is US Only for Paperback Copy & International for Kindle Copy




1 comment:

  1. I'm hoping that THE WINDS OF WINTER by George RR Martin is coming out.

    ReplyDelete