Sunday, July 14, 2013

5 Star Review: The Hallowed Ones (Laura Bickle)

The Hallowed Ones (The Hallowed Ones, #1)Paperback, 311 pages
Published September 25th 2012 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt



Katie is on the verge of her Rumspringa, the time in Amish life when teenagers can get a taste of the real world. But the real world comes to her in this dystopian tale with a philosophical bent. Rumors of massive unrest on the “Outside” abound. Something murderous is out there. Amish elders make a rule: No one goes outside, and no outsiders come in. But when Katie finds a gravely injured young man, she can’t leave him to die. She smuggles him into her family’s barn—at what cost to her community? The suspense of this vividly told, truly horrific thriller will keep the pages turning.




Purchase Links



Laura Bickle
Laura Bickle has worked in the unholy trinity of politics, criminology, and technology for several years. She and her chief muse live in the Midwest, owned by four mostly-reformed feral cats.
Her work has been published in Midnight Times, Down in the Cellar, MicroHorror, Theaker's Quarterly Fiction,Ballista , Byzarium, New Myths,a Blog-O-Novella office soap opera for True Office Confessions, and Aoife's Kiss. Her most recent project is the Embers series of urban fantasy novels for Juno-Pocket Books.





Incredible, Creepy, Fantastic, Unable to Put down, read in one day, one of my favorite books yet……Those are just some of the words that came to mind as I was reading this book. This book was so unlike what I had imagined….It was BETTER!!!!! The Amish VS vampires was just so mesmerizing…The power of faith in this book was just incredible. I had chills the entire time I was reading this book. I am a sucker for survival stories and this may have been one of the best ones I have read this year. Not only is it about survival but about faith and I just absolutely loved every moment.

The book begins with a young Amish girl Katie and her friend, Elijah just spending the day performing their daily chores. Katie and Elijah are very excited about what the Amish people call Rumspringa. This is when the young people get to spend time on the “Outside” before choosing the Amish way for life. Katie was very excited about the chance to live life normally and enjoy simple things like drinking a coke and going to the movies.  Little did they know what the future held for them and the experiences that were headed their way. They would not be experiencing Rumspringa anytime soon……

A helicopter crashes into their little community and Katie runs to it to try and save any survivors. She does find a survivor but as she tries to save him someone or something pulls the man back into the fire….and all Katie can see is glowing red eyes as they disappear. It is at that moment that Katie realizes that something is really wrong…..

News from the Outside claims that there is an unrest happening and people are dying all over the world. The radio does not describe what is causing it but Katie knows…m for fear of what She has feared the worst and she uncovers the horrible secret with the help of a mysterious stranger that she saves from death.
The stranger, Alex, was discovered on the outside of the community fence and the Elders wanted to kill him for fear of the Outside but Katie insisted they leave him and let God decide his future. Later that night Katie comes back and takes Alex to her barn where she gives him medicine and brings him back to health.
Alex and Katie discover the true secret of the unrest…They discover WHAT the evil is….they discover what is causing millions of people to die and they know they have to fight for their survival.

“Something roiled in the grass. I could see it moving toward me, at terrible speed, zigzagging violently through the stalks. It kept low as it rushed toward me, but I spied a glimmer of red, like the eyes of the terrible creatures in the Laundromat, sliding through the shadows. I ran.”

This book is by far one of my favorite survival books that I have ever read. I usually take about 3 days to read a book but I read this one in one day and could not put it down. This book was incredible. Laura Bickle weaves a tale that will keep you in suspense, have your hair standing on ends, and turning pages long into the night. If you are a fan of supernatural and suspense then you have to read this book. It is just phenomenal. By far a 5 star book and I am DYING to get my hands on the sequel…I can’t wait to see where Laura takes this story……




The Sequel to The Hallowed Ones
The Outside
Releases September 2013

The Outside (The Hallowed Ones, #2)

1 comment:

  1. Oh this sounds great! I am really interested in The Hallowed Ones! Thanks so much for the post! To be honest, I can't read the review because I want to review it and when it comes out, I am so buying it!

    Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

    Jovon Tucker from Book2Buzz!

    ReplyDelete