Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Harper Teen Review: Forbidden (Kimberley Griffiths Little)

ForbiddenHardcover, 397 pages
Expected publication: November 4th 2014 by Harpercollins
ARC Provided in Exchange for Honest Review




In the unforgiving Mesopotamian desert where Jayden’s tribe lives, betrothal celebrations abound, and tonight it is Jayden’s turn to be honored. But while this union with Horeb, the son of her tribe’s leader, will bring a life of riches and restore her family’s position within the tribe, it will come at the price of Jayden’s heart.

Then a shadowy boy from the Southern Lands appears. Handsome and mysterious, Kadesh fills Jayden’s heart with a passion she never knew possible. But with Horeb’s increasingly violent threats haunting Jayden’s every move, she knows she must find a way to escape—or die trying.

With a forbidden romance blossoming in her heart and her family’s survival on the line, Jayden must embark on a deadly journey to save the ones she loves—and find a true love for herself.
Set against the brilliant backdrop of the sprawling desert, the story of Jayden and Kadesh will leave readers absolutely breathless as they defy the odds and risk it all to be together. 


PRE-ORDER LINKS




Kimberley Griffiths Little
I was born in the very awesome city of San Francisco, but a few years later we moved to the other side of the Oakland hills and I finished growing up as a concrete suburban brat in a very ordinary neighborhood with an empty meadow at the dead-end of our street, perfect for building forts. We also had a swimming pool with a homemade slide in the backyard and my best friend conveniently around the corner. Now I live in a place I never dreamed I’d end up–a a solar adobe house on a dirt road near the banks of the Rio Grande in New Mexico with my husband, a robotics engineer, and our three sons.By the time I turned six, I was devouring a book a day, and by the time I was ten I knew I wanted to create that same magic by writing a book someday, too. In grade school I wrote lots of short stories, and completed my first novel in 9th grade. The gothic romance attempt–a genre all the rage at the time–was written during Fourth Period Girl’s Choir and my girlfriends devoured the pages as fast as I could churn them out “hot off the press”. Longhand in a notebook, of course, while the altos drilled their notes. (I led the second soprano team).Majoring in English at Brigham Young University, I soon switched to Piano Pedagogy when I realized that I didn’t want to become an English teacher, but rather a writer of children’s books and there was no program offered at the time. MFA’s in Children’s Literature hadn’t been invented yet either.In my past life I’ve: Sold grandfather clocks in a European boutique at the mall, worked for a CPA during tax season, waitressed at J.B.s Big Boy to put myself through college, and taught upwards of 20 piano students while homeschooling my three boys and writing, writing, writing whenever I could scribble a few sentences.


CONTACT KIMBERLEY


"A sweeping, epic saga of romance and hardship, set against the dramatic backdrop of ancient Mesopotamia"

The synopsis of this book  immediately grabbed me! Desert, belly dancing, tribes, and all set in a beautiful atmosphere!! I loved this book from the beginning. This book is so full of passion and emotion. It literally moved me. It is a fast-paced mystical story that just grabs you and doesn't let go. 

Not to mention, the cover is absolutely breathtaking. Jayden is portrayed as a dark, mysterious beautiful young girl. I love the beautiful colors portrayed on the cover and the font chosen for the title "Forbidden." Just gorgeous....

This is the story of Jayden and her life in the tribe that causes her to question her beliefs and family values. Jayden's is betrothed to the prince of the tribe and her marriage to him will bring her family back into position within the tribe. Jayden has known Horeb her whole life but she does not love him. She is dreading the day she is married and on the night of her betrothal ceremony she walks into the desert and meets a mysterious young man named Kadesh. She is immediately drawn to him and eager to learn more about him and his background. 

"The stranger rose from his crouched position and I backed up against the rocks and sand, my heart an anvil against my ribs. A whimper rose in my throat and I choked it back."

Jayden is faced with so much hardship and difficult choices in such a small amount of time. She brings Kadesh back to the tribe to help him in his journey to his home. 

Kadesh is mesmerized by Jayden and falls in love with her immediately. He knows she is betrothed to Horeb but he cannot hide his feelings for her. Jayden's betrothed, Horeb, senses the feelings between her and Kadesh and begins to plan his revenge against them. 

There are so many surprises and twists in this amazing book!! I was shocked and just completely stunned at certain parts. This book is truly a treasure and just the atmosphere will amaze you. The belly dancing and tribe traditions were so mesmerizing. 

Kimberley is a phenomenal writer and really brings out the life of the story. I cannot wait to read the sequel to this phenomenon and see where Jayden's journey will take her!!! What else can she possibly face? 




**The quotes from this book have been taken from an Advanced Reading Copy and are subject to change when the final book is printed. Please refer to the final, finished copy for exact quotes!**

**I want to give a HUGE THANK YOU to Harper Teen for the opportunity to review this phenomenal, incredible, AMAZING book!!**

2 comments:

  1. Awesome review! I haven't managed to snap an ARC but I have it pre-ordered on Amazon :) :)

    ReplyDelete