Monday, October 22, 2012

Review: The Immortal Rules (Julie Kagawa)




"In a future world, vampires reign. Humans are blood cattle. And one girl will search for the key to save humanity."Allison Sekemoto survives in the Fringe, the outermost circle of a vampire city. By day, she and her crew scavenge for food. By night, any one of them could be eaten.
Some days, all that drives Allie is her hatred of "them." The vampires who keep humans as blood cattle. Until the night Allie herself is attacked--and given the ultimate choice. Die...or become one of the monsters.
Faced with her own mortality, Allie becomes what she despises most. To survive, she must learn the rules of being immortal, including the most important: go long enough without human blood, and you will go mad.
Then Allie is forced to flee into the unknown, outside her city walls. There she joins a ragged band of humans who are seeking a legend--a possible cure to the disease that killed off most of humankind and created the rabids, the mindless creatures who threaten humans and vampires alike.
But it isn't easy to pass for human. Especially not around Zeke, who might see past the monster inside her. And Allie soon must decide what--and who--is worth dying for.











hmmm..Ok yes this is a vampire story..I know lots of people have been saying that the vampire stories are getting old. Well let me be the first to say that this story will totally change your views. This is an entirely different type of vampire story. It has more of a hard core edge to it. The genre is still young adult so language is minimal as well as the violence but I think it has just enough to keep the suspense. The main character, Allie, is a strong, determined young girl and you cant help but cheer her on. She is intense and she is serious. She is one of those "you dont mess with" types and I loved it. Julie Kagawa never ceases to amaze me with her writing. This book was great and I am yearning for the 2nd in the series....What an ending..what a story...


Quotes:

“The mighty hunter,” I quipped as we snuck out the backdoor, escaping into the yard. “He can take down vicious rabids and rampaging boars, but one old lady can make him flee in terror.”

“One scary old lady,” he corrected me, looking relieved to be out of the house. “You didn’t hear what she told me when I got up — you’re so cute I could put you in a pie. Tell me that’s not the creepiest thing you’ve ever heard.” His voice climbed a few octaves, turning shrill and breathy. “Today for dessert, we have apple pie, blueberry pie and Ezekiel pie.” 
― Julie KagawaThe Immortal Rules

“Hunger flickered, always there, but I pushed it down. I was a vampire. Nothing would change that. But I didn't have to be a monster.” 
― Julie KagawaThe Immortal Rules

“I wasn't thinking of his blood, rushing just below the skin. I wasn't thinking of his heartbeat or his touch or the pulse at his throat. Right now, all I was thinking of was Zeke.” 
― Julie KagawaThe Immortal Rules





No comments:

Post a Comment