Saturday, November 9, 2013

5 Star Review: Pawn (Aimee Carter)

Pawn (The Blackcoat Rebellion, #1)Hardcover, 352 pages
Expected publication: November 26th 2013 by Harlequin Teen
ARC Provided by Publisher for Honest Review



YOU CAN BE A VII IF YOU GIVE EVERYTHING.
For Kitty Doe, it seems like an easy choice. She can either spend her life as a III in misery, looked down upon by the higher ranks and forced to leave the people she loves, or she can become a VII and join the most powerful family in the country.
If she says yes, Kitty will be Masked - surgically transformed into Lila Hart, the Prime Minister's niece, who died under mysterious circumstances. As a member of the Hart family, she will be famous. She will be adored. And for the first time, she will matter.
There's only one catch. She must also stop the rebellion that Lila secretly fostered, the same one that got her killed, and one Kitty believes in. Faced with threats, conspiracies and a life that's not her own, she must decide which path to choose and learn how to become more than a pawn in a twisted game she's only beginning to understand. 
Pre-Order Pawn Here!!



Aimee Carter
Aimée Carter was born and raised in Michigan, where she currently resides. Her first novel for young adults, THE GODDESS TEST, will be published by Harlequin Teen on April 19th, 2011. The sequel, GODDESS INTERRUPTED, will follow in January 2012.








I had heard all about Aimee Carter's Goddess series and how phenomenal it was but havent yet gotten the chance to review them so when I heard she had started a new young adult series I immediately wanted to review it. Well let me just say that this book was so phenomenal that I am immediately going to begin reading the Goddess series!! Aimee Carter has completely won me over with her incredible writing skills and plot development. I cannot say enough amazing words about this incredible book!!

Pawn is a young adult dystopian novel that is filled with intense survival scenes, wild twists, and a romance to die for. Kitty Doe is a young girl who is about to take her "test" to determine where she will be placed in society. In this society people are placed according to the test results in levels that begin with roman numeral I and the highest level being VII. The level that you earn will determine the job and life that you and your family will live in. 

Kitty is in love with a young boy named Benjy and their relationship is so strong and amazing. I just absolutely fell in love with both of them within the first couple of chapters. Their characters are surviving in this horrible world by fighting with all they have and fighting together. Benjy is extremely intelligent and Kitty is smart but not smart enough. Kitty takes her test before Benjy and learns that she will only be a III. Kitty is given one day before she has to start her new life in the slums as a prostitute. She is heartbroken but knows she must do this if she ever wants to see Benjy again. 

Well little does she know that someone else has different plans for her....

The Hart family are the "rulers" in this story and Lila Hart, the niece of the prime minister, has mysteriously died under unknown circumstances. The Hart family approaches Kitty and gives her two options: She can be "masked" and take over the role of Lila Hart or she can go back to the slums and live her life in misery. Kitty knows there is something else to this story but has no choice. She accepts the offer to become Lila and then the real story begins. 

"Have you ever played chess, Kitty?"
I eyed her. What did a board game have to do with this? "Not really."
"You and I should play sometime. I think you would like it," she said. "It's a game of strategy, mostly. The strong pieces are in the back row, while the weak pieces-the pawns-are all in the front, ready to take the brunt of the attack. Because of their limited movement and vulnerability, most people underestimate them and only use them to protect their more powerful pieces. But when I play, I protect my pawns."

WOW...There are so many twists and turns in this story that I dont know where to begin. The plot is so intricately written and had me turning pages late into the night. The characters that are introduced all throughout the book each have a special feeling about them that makes you connect with each one. I just am completely obssessed with this book. I read the last couple of chapters so slow because I didnt want it to end....Now I cannot wait to get my hands on the sequel..I cant wait to see what happens next with this story and all these amazing characters...



The next book in The Blackcoat Rebellion series is called 
Captive....

1 comment:

  1. I also enjoyed this one and, like you, haven't read Carter's Goddess Series. I do want to read more of her books now!

    --Sam @ SIK Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete