Friday, May 3, 2013

5 ++++ Star Review: Dark Triumph (Robin LaFevers)


Dark Triumph (His Fair Assassin, #2)Sybella's duty as Death's assassin in 15th-century France forces her return home to the personal hell that she had finally escaped. Love and romance, history and magic, vengeance and salvation converge in this thrilling sequel to Grave Mercy.
Sybella arrives at the convent’s doorstep half mad with grief and despair. Those that serve Death are only too happy to offer her refuge—but at a price. The convent views Sybella, naturally skilled in the arts of both death and seduction, as one of their most dangerous weapons. But those assassin's skills are little comfort when the convent returns her to a life that nearly drove her mad. And while Sybella is a weapon of justice wrought by the god of Death himself, He must give her a reason to live. When she discovers an unexpected ally imprisoned in the dungeons, will a daughter of Death find something other than vengeance to live for?


Hardcover, 385 pages
Published April 2013 by Houghton Mifflin Books for Children
Purchased for Review






R.L. LaFevers
R.L. LaFevers (Robin Lorraine when she’s in really big trouble) grew up surrounded by shelves of old dusty books and a passel of brothers. She has also spent a large portion of her life being told she was making up things that weren’t there, which only proves she was destined to write fiction. She is the author of over fourteen books for young readers, including THEODOSIA AND THE SERPENTS OF CHAOS, (Houghton Mifflin, 2007) which received starred reviews and was a Junior Library Guild selection, a Booksense Summer Pick, and nominated for the Malice Domestic’s Agatha Award, and the NATHANIEL FLUDD, BEASTOLOGIST series. Her first young adult novel, GRAVE MERCY, will be published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt in Spring of 2012. She currently lives with her husband and a demonic cat in Southern California and spends her days gazing longingly at ancient artifacts or wallowing in old forgotten texts.


Contact Robin Here 

Facebook * Twitter * Goodreads


My favorite quote from this series:

“Why Be The Sheep?.....
When You Can Be The Wolf?”


I am not even sure where to begin….hmmm…ok let’s start with one word.

PHENOMENAL

His Fair Assassins series is one of the BEST series I think that I have EVER read in all my life!! Intense, Emotional, and full of action....I can honestly say that I am beyond obsessed with it and have no idea how I will wait till 2014 for another installment!!! Notice I said “installment” because I am hoping and praying that this is not a trilogy and that Robin LaFevers continues this story for MANY more books!!!

I read each chapter so slow because I savored every moment. It was truly that incredible. I love the time that this book is set in. I love the idea of duchess’s and kings. I love the dresses they wear and the way of living. Robin LaFevers gets everything right in her historical portrayal. Even the cover is phenomenal. The girl is exactly what I imagined Sybella looking like. 

The first book in the series, Grave Mercy, revolves around Ismae’s story and Dark Triumph picks up where Grave Mercy ends and tells the story of Sybella’s story. As much as I LOVED Ismae’s story…I loved Sybella’s even more. Sybella is the “daughter” of D ‘Albert which is the “villain” in this story and is fighting to take over the duchess’s country. Sybella is secretly a handmaiden of St Mortain and works to fulfill his will. She has such a hard life and learning each heartbreaking secret she carries overwhelmed me. When I say this book has twists and turns….I MEAN IT. I mean really that is an understatement. I could not put this book down because I HAD to know what was happening next. 

The introduction of Beast into the story was a pivotal moment. Everything changed for Sybella at this time. Her focus and drive changed and for the better. She began to have emotions and feel for the people around her. It was amazing. Beast….ah where do I start with Beast? I loved the story of Ismae and Duval but Sybella and Beast TRUMPS it. Beast’s survival at the hands of Sybella just grabbed at my heart. 

Let me just say that if you have not read this series YOU MUST. It is so incredible. I don’t want to say much more because it will take away from the effect of this amazing, phenomenal novel. The shock and reactions are what makes this book so incredible. 

PLEASE PLEASE go out and purchase this book. You will not be disappointed! Robin LaFevers is an excellent writer who will have you turning pages late into the night…..


Coming Spring of 2014: Mortal Heart (His Fair Assassin #3)
Annith has watched her gifted sisters at the convent come and go, carrying out their dark dealings in the name of St. Mortain, patiently awaiting her own turn to serve Death. But her worst fears are realized when she discovers she is being groomed by the abbess as a Seeress, to be forever sequestered in the rock and stone womb of the convent. Feeling sorely betrayed, Annith decides to strike out on her own.
She has spent her whole life training to be an assassin. Just because the convent has changed its mind doesn't mean she has.

2 comments:

  1. *sigh* Why haven't I read this series yet Beth? WHY?! I haven't read a review yet that's rated it less than 5 stars and I need to get on the Dark Triumph train. I ADORE damaged/scarred/tortured/ugly characters, so I absolutely cannot wait to meet Beast. I feel like he was made for me:) So glad to know you loved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny!!! LET ME ASSURE YOU THAT YOU WILL LOVE IT!!! You must and I do mean MUST immediately read Grave Mercy! and then you will not be able to wait to move on to Dark Triumph! I am so serious when I say one of the best series I have ever read!

      Delete