Sunday, September 6, 2015

Scholastic Review: The Real Princess Diaries (Grace Norwich)

The Real Princess DiariesPaperback, 96 pages
Published August 25th 2015 by Scholastic Paperback Nonfiction


This inside look at real-life princesses will explore the true and often inspiring stories behind happily ever after.
A deep dive into the royal world of a princess! Featuring princesses from around the world and all of time. The Real Princess Diaries explores everything it means to be royal. Each spread includes portraits of the princesses, in-depth bios, crowning achievements, and family trees. Learn which princesses have official royal duties, and which ones simply reign. Plus bonus sidebars about ladies in waiting, the crowned jewels, royal outfits, and princes, this will be the definitive royal guide. Full-color photos, with a modern layout make this a must read for princess fans everywhere.



Grace Norwich has written many books for young readers on a variety of topics, including health, fashion, animals, and more. She lives in Brooklyn, New York.


I received this book for review from Scholastic Publishers and could not wait to start reading it! I am fascinated with the stories about princesses and I knew I would not be disappointed. 

There were so many great aspects to this book. Each princess had something unique and special about them and I loved how they all empowered women and were all very active in charities. 

"If a poor, weak girl, with not one of my people near me and all these statements against me, have the strength to stand up for the rights of my people. Even now I can hear their wail in my heart, and it gives me strength." ~Victoria Ka'iulani

One of the most beautiful and fascinating princesses was Ameerah Al-Taweel. Ameerah fell in love with one of her country's princes after interviewing him for a school paper. They fell in love and married nine months later and almost immediately after they married she became a huge public figure and a strong advocate for women's rights in her country. She fought hard for women to be allowed to drive and also for women to be allowed custody of their children should they ever get a divorce from their husbands. 

"I didn't want to be that girl who's not doing anything. I wanted to make an impact.~Ameerah Al-Taweel

I also really enjoyed Sikhanyiso's story. She was an African princess who became a strong advocate against polygamy. Her father was a large polygamist who had over fourteen wives and she defied him and fought to express her strong will and said that nothing or no-one would stop her from speaking out for what she believes in. 

I also loved the addition of the royal pets! There were some very interesting animals that lived with these amazing women. I found the fact that one princess used pigeons to transport messages during wars very fascinating!!

The Real Princess Diaries was a great book with so much information about princesses all over the world. Some of these women I have never even heard of and absolutely loved reading their stories of empowerment and success. 

My favorite quote in the book: 

"No matter where we came from, what we look like, how we dress, or to whom we pray, when it comes to what makes us laugh or cry, when it comes to what we dream of for ourselves and for our children, when it comes to how hard we work each day, we are usually more alike than we are different." 
~Queen Rania





**The quotes from this book have been taken from an Advanced Reading Copy and are subject to change when the final book is printed. Please refer to the final, finished copy for exact quotes!**

**I want to say Thank You to Scholastic for the opportunity to review this book!!**

No comments:

Post a Comment