Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Review: The End Games (T. Michael Martin)

The End Games
It happened on Halloween.
The world ended.
And a dangerous Game brought it back to life.
Seventeen-year-old Michael and his five-year-old brother, Patrick, have been battling monsters in The Game for weeks.
In the rural mountains of West Virginia, armed with only their rifle and their love for each other, the brothers follow Instructions from the mysterious Game Master. They spend their days searching for survivors, their nights fighting endless hordes of “Bellows”—creatures that roam the dark, roaring for flesh. And at this Game, Michael and Patrick are very good.
But The Game is changing.
The Bellows are evolving.
The Game Master is leading Michael and Patrick to other survivors—survivors who don’t play by the rules.
And the brothers will never be the same.
T. Michael Martin’s debut novel is a transcendent thriller filled with electrifying action, searing emotional insight, and unexpected romance.

Title: The End Games 
Series: Stand Alone
Genre: Young Adult- Dystopian/Post Apocalyptic
Author: T. Michael Martin
Publisher: HarperTeen
Release Date: May 7th 2013
Format: ARC Provided by Publisher for an Honest Review
Buy the Book * Goodreads


I was really eager to read this book when I first saw it. The synopsis grabbed me from the beginning. I am all about a post apocalyptic book that involves humans fighting monsters to survive! HECK YEAH!

but....

It started off immediately throwing you into a survival scene with the main character, Michael and his little brother, Patrick. So I was like, Yeah here we go! and then they called the "monsters" by a name...Bellows? Ok I'm not so sure that the name did the monster justice because I just didn't find that very creepy or scary?

And then all Michael talked about was The Game Master and The Game and I kept bringing myself back to Hunger Games and thinking that this was about to get intense. But for me, it didn't. I really, i mean REALLY wanted to like this book but I just could not get into it. 

And when the plot totally changes in the middle of the story I was just in shock. I then had to gather my thoughts around this whole different idea. 

Needless to say I just really didn't get this book. I did finish it but I'm sad to say it will not be going on my favorites list. I am just really torn about this because I wanted to like it SO much... *Sad*




1 comment:

  1. This isn't the first review I've come across for this book where the reader said it was less than stellar. I'm still going to read it because I've been waiting, but it's nice to be cautious and not overly hyped up about it, whenever that happens I feel more disappointed if I didn't like it.

    ReplyDelete